Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Current Obsessions

I get obsessed with things relatively quickly, but it never lasts long.  It really ties in with the fact that I am such an impulsive person and like to try new things in bursts.  Music is not exempted from this way of thinking, I am always getting on kicks of listening to a particular artist or genre for days straight.  The same really goes for my movie choices; I don't think it's a surprise that I once watched The Goonies every day after school for a month straight!

Here is a list of my current obsession:

Vampire Weekend: the entire new Modern Vampires the of the City album - When I first purchased this album I was only listening to it in the car and wasn't really appreciating the music at hand. I was constantly being distracted by driving (what?!) and getting in and out of the car while in the middle of a song.  I like taking the first few listens of a new album to decide whether or not I like something, and I wasn't really giving myself the chance. I decided to listen to the album while I was baking.  It would give me plenty of time to hear everything in its entirety and also to listen to it loudly; who doesn't blast music while baking for friends? Anyway, all of that being said, I fell in love with this album and haven't stopped listening to it since!

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis: Same Love - This song gives me the chills, I love it so much! I believe in equality for everyone, and even though this song really only hits at the issues that the country is currently having regarding same sex marriages, I think that it extends beyond that.  Every civil rights movement has music to help it along, and this song and artist are really climbing the charts with a message of change for the better.

Kanye West: The entire Graduation album - This probably should have been posted in my previous post about revisiting your music, but man. I cannot stop listening to this album.  I've always really liked how Kanye collaborates with a lot of different musicians and is constantly using new sounds and samples for his songs, it makes his music interesting and fun to listen to.  

BOY: Little Numbers - I often contribute my musical findings to NPR and urge people to go onto their website whenever possible to check out All Songs Considered.  BOY came to my attention through a sort of "up and coming artist" post and now I can't help myself.  I listen to this song a couple of times a day and haven't gotten sick of it yet! It's light and breezy, which makes for a great summer song.  

The Avett Brothers - 2009 live performance from Newport Folk Fest: Again, NPR, thank you for being such a huge part of my musical education.  I first found out about The Avett Bros through my friend Kendra, she had sent me a song called "If It's the Beaches," and since listening to that one song I have become an enormous fan.  I haven't made it to the NFF yet, but I really hope that they are playing when I do, because this live performance from a few years ago is the definition of awesome. 

Those are my obsessions for right now, but tomorrow they might change.  What are the things you are listening to/obsessed with right now? Do you listen to them on repeat until you can't take it anymore? It's a slippery slope! Beware!  

No comments:

Post a Comment